RPG Forum based on Undertale and its Aus. (Idea from Askellie)

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ways to Revive the Forum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Treble
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 12:08

It's very rare that I see anyone on here anymore, but I'm not sure how exactly to revive it. A large part of it is that there's some waiting for others going on, and part of it may be life as we approach the holidays, but I sincerely hope this place doesn't die for good. I don't have much reach on my own to spread this around any, and I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 12:31

Sorry... I had really horrible weeks. (I lost my father in law. In a sudden and stressful way)

What can we do? We can try to make advertisement on tumblr and other medias again. Or, I don't know...
We can still play and try to make the forum more accessible. Maybe I should work on the tuls again to make it simpler.

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
The Butcher   (HorrorTale was created by Sour-apple-Studio)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://undraurpg.forumactif.com
GSkeleton
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 16:14

My condolences for your father in law. I hope you're holding up okay.

Some more advertising on tumblr could help, but also getting those who joined to continue rping would be good. Maybe some sort of event?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 17:48

Thanks
I tried the Arena Event, since everything IRL happened right after it began, I'm sorry I couldn't finish it in time...
But nit was supposed to trigger another major event right after... You can give some event idea too if you want.

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
Back to top Go down
Treble
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 17:54

I had guessed there were real life scenarios happening, I'm sorry to hear that and hope you'll be able to recover. It's rough, don't be afraid to take time still.

As far as advertising on Social media, the only thing I use is Tumblr and I have an insubstantial amount of followers there, so I wouldn't reach many people like that. If other people had more reach or knew people who would be interested that would help, but it might be worth seeing if we can briefly get in contact with a few of the idle members as well, and see if they'd like to restart a bit.

The timing was unfortunate as far as the event goes, but once it's finished we may still be able to initiate a different event. The arena event was mostly for characters that would fight, but I've had something in mind that would affect more than that, more widespread, if I could get all the pieces together (You know what I'm talking about). We'd just have to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Tue 31 Oct - 18:12

I don't have many followers either...
I can sent a general mail to all the subscribed members to remind them of thz foruù. Most of them didn't even made their introduction.

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
Back to top Go down
Rust
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Sat 4 Nov - 17:06

Ideas:

1.Get a discord server. Currently, the only way to communicate quickly is via the very bad chat program. It times out and doesn't keep messages, so if you're not on at the right time, you miss everything. Even if you're on, it doesn't beep. A fast method to talk to other members would help, especially since the email notification system for posts doesn't work. This encourages people to pop in and look around, maybe even talk to other members before they go through the whole application. It makes the forum more accessible.

2. Have a native English speaker admin. (Or at least an editor.) People are going to get turned off if the come to the forum and the first thing they see is spelling and grammatical errors, especially in the lore and rules. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's just less likely people are going to want to join if everything is confusing to read through and they need to go find someone to explain things. I don't think it's as much of a problem when just talking or RPing, but clarity in your lore and rules is essential.

3. Let people use multiple muses on one account. Having to switch back and forth is clunky. I've done it, but I'm used to using multiple accounts and I can have everything open at once. It is getting really annoying, though, to update each profile every time I want to change something. It also makes it really hard to keep track of who is who.

4. Remove the three-thread cap. You can always reinstate it if people go nuts, but if someone's in three RPs and no one is responding to them...they're just going to leave because they're not allowed to do anything else.

5. Update all the art. The banner image is way too tall and makes scrolling onerous. There's artifacts and blurry images in the main art, and the less professional we look, the less we're going to attract new people.

6. Make one central character info section. Right now backstories under Validated Characters are uneditable, and separate from Save Files. So there's no way to change or add things to your character without contacting an admin.

7. Change the theme to be more readable. This one might just be a personal one, but white text on a black background is not conducive to a lot of reading. It causes a lot more eyestrain. I know it's the Undertale theme, but it's a pain to read. Here's an article about white-on-black legibility. A heavily text-based site needs to be easy to read, and there's a lot of darker colors on here, even in RPs. The moderator, Underfell, and Swapfell colors are especially hard to read.

8. Advertise in the tags on tumblr. This one is really simple. Set up an account with information and set it reblog in the tags. Even if we don't have too many tags, there would at least be something to reblog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Sat 4 Nov - 17:49

@Rust wrote:
Ideas:

1.Get a discord server. Currently, the only way to communicate quickly is via the very bad chat program. It times out and doesn't keep messages, so if you're not on at the right time, you miss everything. Even if you're on, it doesn't beep. A fast method to talk to other members would help, especially since the email notification system for posts doesn't work. This encourages people to pop in and look around, maybe even talk to other members before they go through the whole application. It makes the forum more accessible.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd Done!! https://discord.gg/PeWmMj

2. Have a native English speaker admin. (Or at least an editor.) People are going to get turned off if the come to the forum and the first thing they see is spelling and grammatical errors, especially in the lore and rules. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's just less likely people are going to want to join if everything is confusing to read through and they need to go find someone to explain things. I don't think it's as much of a problem when just talking or RPing, but clarity in your lore and rules is essential.

I'd like to have a english speaker admin. Really.

3. Let people use multiple muses on one account. Having to switch back and forth is clunky. I've done it, but I'm used to using multiple accounts and I can have everything open at once. It is getting really annoying, though, to update each profile every time I want to change something. It also makes it really hard to keep track of who is who.

I've changed that last month...

4. Remove the three-thread cap. You can always reinstate it if people go nuts, but if someone's in three RPs and no one is responding to them...they're just going to leave because they're not allowed to do anything else.

Ok, I'll change that

5. Update all the art. The banner image is way too tall and makes scrolling onerous. There's artifacts and blurry images in the main art, and the less professional we look, the less we're going to attract new people.

Sorry, I'm not a professional. But if Someone want to help with that, I'll b happy to let them do.

6. Make one central character info section. Right now backstories under Validated Characters are uneditable, and separate from Save Files. So there's no way to change or add things to your character without contacting an admin.

Because you're not supposed to change your character backstory.

7. Change the theme to be more readable. This one might just be a personal one, but white text on a black background is not conducive to a lot of reading. It causes a lot more eyestrain. I know it's the Undertale theme, but it's a pain to read. Here's an article about white-on-black legibility. A heavily text-based site needs to be easy to read, and there's a lot of darker colors on here, even in RPs. The moderator, Underfell, and Swapfell colors are especially hard to read.

I must change that too, okay, i take note

8. Advertise in the tags on tumblr. This one is really simple. Set up an account with information and set it reblog in the tags. Even if we don't have too many tags, there would at least be something to reblog.

It's a good idea. I'll make a special Tumblr about the Citadel for reference.

I really want to thank you for those constructive ideas.

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
Back to top Go down
GSkeleton
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Sun 5 Nov - 16:58

The Discord is a good idea. Also, I'm willing to spell-check the lore if needed.I'm new to RP but I have spellchecked and beta read before. It might take a while but I'd get through it eventually.

But yeah these were all good ideas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Mon 6 Nov - 16:16

I'd love that, thank you, G!

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
Back to top Go down
Warden
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Fri 8 Dec - 11:52

Perhaps you could make an area where people can simply write stories based in the city's settings with their characters, exploring things and scenarios that would either be rough in a roleplay environment or wouldn't make sense for multiple characters to be in (Such as a shady deal with someone that progresses widespread prompt, or a walk where you want your character to have time to think on their own to foreshadow something, or maybe just a quick trip through some of the market areas to show how they conduct themselves in public, and how people react to them.)

Along with providing a spot for people to make mini stories and the like, it may give someone else inspiration for their own roleplay starters or replies. Maybe they think taking a race through one of the other districts would be great for character development, or try to start their own little chain of events. It's just an idea, but I thought it would be worth mentioning!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.D. Gaster
Dark, Darker yet Darker

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   Sun 10 Dec - 17:15

I created a Tumblr for the Citadel. I'd like to regroup there your stories, your ideas, whatever you want about the Citadel.
Cherry and I Rolplayed a little on Discord and we want to translate the result to make a story, everyone can do the same if you want. I won't add any of your characters in the Tumblr without your permission.

I can too creat a "Quick RP" section somewhere if I understood what you're suggesting.

I'm sorry, life have been cray since my father in law died...

Here is the tumblr: https://thecitadelaus.tumblr.com/

Characters:

W.D.Gaster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ways to Revive the Forum   

Back to top Go down

Ways to Revive the Forum
Page 1 of 1